Search This Blog

Saturday 28 July 2012

A Not-So-Everlasting Fire

There's a lot of things that make me angry.

What most of them boil down to - the important ones, I mean, not the continued existence of Simon Cowell or the ending of Wolverine: Origins - are either greed, or ignorance; these two things, either in combination or alone, are easily attributable as the source of most of our troubles as a species.

I get angry about both; about how they affect not only my life, but the lives of hundreds, thousands, millions, billions. About the countless status quo situations maintained simply to keep funneling funds into the pockets of those not necessarily most deserving, or upheld because of fear of any kind of change. Stupid laws and idiotic regulations built on generations of injustice and self-interest. Several monoithic inescable systems solely devoted to maintaining iniquity.

Anger leads to wanting a solution, seeking a means, trying to change things. That very swiftly leads to the realisation that you simply can't do it alone - the next natural response is to go looking for those that think the way you do.

And that is where the entire plan comes apart.

Apathy is one of two things - either ignorance of a problem and thus being unwilling to fix it, or knowing at least a little about a problem and deciding not to try.

And you just know...you just know that if people would only pay attention and think for a second that you could achieve something great and life would be better and we could be proud of being human.

If only they'd give a damn.

But they don't.

Apathy, it appears, is entirely contageous. I've had enough of it - the fire of my anger is cooling to the embers of cynical resentment. I've heard it too many times.

"Nothing will change."

"It doesn't matter who I vote for, they're all the same."

"Who cares?"

I did. Once. Now I'm not entirely sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment