Some of them will be quite specific. Some of them will be vague. Some will be pertaining primarily to me, but you know, they may well help someone else in my absence...
I was going to call this Life Hacks but I hate that term with a passion.
So without further ado:
- Don't be an asshole. You know when you're being an asshole so don't pretend you don't.
- If you have curiosity about a subject, go look into it. It's easy and fun.
- Some lessons take more than one exposure to sink in. Give it time.
- You are worth more than you think you are, and you deserve happiness, no matter what you think.
- Seasonings are your friend. Find five or six that you like, then put that shit on everything.
- Learn how to take compliments. Yes it is awkward, but the person giving it probably means it. Perhaps reply with a compliment of your own? Or simple thanks! No need to not be humble.
- Everything in moderation - even moderation. Let go of the reins once in a while.
- You are not contractually obligated to keep anyone in your life. Aside from your spouse, and even that can be anulled.
- Recognise and minimise your flaws. Likewise, recognise and hone your talents. They don't define you, but they are important.
- Always I readlovebetweenyouthe alllines.
- You can't prevent your very first thought in any given situation. You CAN reason it out, challenge it, correct it, before you act on it - and that's the real measure of morality.
- There's no shame in liking something popular. There's no shame in disliking something popular.
- Don't hate on yourself for not getting literally everything done that you think you should have. You got up, and you tried. That's a victory.
- Trust your instincts - but logic-sweep them too. Thinking before acting is what separates us from cavemen.
- Think about all the things you enjoy in your life. Picture your life without them, one at a time. When you find the one that makes you angry to imagine missing - throw yourself into it without fear.
- Watch, read or listen to something once a week that you haven't heard of before. Expand those horizons.
- Some people will raise you up whenever you feel low. Some people will tell you the truth when a lie would hurt less. Keep both close to you.
- Other people are going to think badly of you if they want to, regardless of what you do. The people that matter don't mind - the people that mind don't matter.
- Learn yourself. Know yourself. Understand the battles you can fight and win, and avoid those you can't.
- Do what you can with what you have.
- See the doctor. If the idea of seeing your doctor makes you uncomfortable, get a new doctor.
- Love isn't the feeling of weird fear-excitement you get when you look at someone. Love is the feeling of happiness you feel whenever you think of them.
- Always leave a decent layover between transport changes. Use that time to eat something, or just take a breath of non-train air.
If not, well, hell, I tried.